BLOCK 1 of Blanket MKAL 2021
Did you read my “Notes before starting” post? I hope you did! You can find HERE if you missed it.
Just in case you need to adjust after some time of not knitting, this first block is the easiest of the lot. But has a lot of texture and I will use it to show you 2 things:
- How to avoid using a cable needle for what I call HACHI TWISTS. This element will pop-up in a few other blocks and mastering it will save you a lot of time. Watch the full step-by-step guide HERE.
- How to turn the pattern into a hat. The full pattern will hit the blog (or your inbox) in a few days’ time, and you can use the provided structure to make hats with all square patterns.
Whenever possible over this MKAL, you’ll notice that I integrated the instructions (row-by-row and charted) of all different “stitch patterns” or “panels” within the square. By considering each row has a whole, I hope to facilitate your knitting and to avoid unnecessary complications. Do you know what I mean? Those kinds of instructions that got you jumping from chart to chart, each one with a different number of rows, and calculating that if you’re knitting the X-th row of one you should then work the Y-th of the other after the Z-th repeat… 🤯
SPOILER ALERT at the end:
Do you want to see what’s coming next week? At the end of this post, in the very last photo, you can see the next block peeking out in the background 👋 If you don’t want to see it, stop scrolling down when you reach my “SPOILER BELOW” sign there.
Or better still: keep scrolling down with your eyes closed and say “hello” in the comments section!
And so it begins.
Thanks for joining 🙌
And very happy knitting!
- CO: cast on
- BO: bind off
- RS: right side
- WS: wrong side
- st: stitch
- k: knit
- p: purl
- 3B, k3, k3B: slip 3 sts to cable needle and hold in back, k next 3 sts, k 3 sts from cable needle.
- 3F, k3, k3F: slip 3 sts to cable needle and hold in front, k next 3 sts, k 3 sts from cable needle.
- Front HT: from the front, pick and knit the second st with your right needle, without removing it from the left needle. Knit the first st and slip both off your left needle.
- Back HT: from the back, pick and knit the second st with your right needle, without removing it from the left needle. Knit the first st and slip both off your left needle.
Remember that you can see a step-by-step photo guide of the HACHI TWISTS (HT) HERE.
– Block your square to its final measures. You can read my post on blocking if you need more info.
To block each square to the same final measures (I did it to 11”) it’s really key for this project.
© Cecilia Fameli, 2021.
You’re welcome to sell your items produced from Oh La Lana! patterns! But you may not re-sale or re-distribute commercially my patterns in any manner. Thank you in advance for being respectful with my work!
8 thoughts on “BLOCK 1 of Blanket MKAL 2021”
Oh this is lovely! I cannot wait to cast on ❤️
Thank you, Jen! xo
My very first MKAL. I’m excited to get started!
Hey, welcome! I hope you enjoy it. Let me know if you have any questions along the way. xo
I would be so happy if someone could explain *RIB* stitch to me. I see it often and can’t figure it out. Thank you in advance.
I see what looks like a pretzel peeking out! 🙂