I decided to start this blog by posting my crochet playmat free pattern. This rug is one of the most popular items in my shop Yaguareté. You can see it in Etsy here: RAINBOW CROCHET PLAYMAT. It will certainly brighten up any room! And is perfect to decorate Montessori and Waldorf classrooms. Of course, you can make it with any other color combination, like the pink one I show you at the end of this post.
If you are crochet beginner willing to learn how to make increases and work in circles, this is a great pattern to acquire and perfect your skills.
Rainbow Crochet Playmat FREE PATTERN & Tutorial
The final measure of this crochet playmat is approx 37” (94 cm) of diameter, but you can easily modify this. Write me a message in the comments box if you have any questions or need help.
– 1 hook L (US) / 8 mm
– 1 hook M (US) / 9 mm
– Chunky / Bulky weighted yarn in purple, turquoise, green, yellow, orange and red.
– Tapestry needle to loose yarn ends and scissors.
TECHNIQUES AND ABBREVIATIONS
sl st: slip stitch
SC: single crochet (US) / double crochet (UK)
DC: double crochet (US) / treble (UK)
Ready? Grab your L (8 mm) hook!! Our crochet playmat begins with a Magic Circle. If you are not familiar with this, you can check this photo tutorial I’ve found in Pinterest: CLICK HERE
1) With purple yarn, make a single magic circle. Crochet 3 ch (count as 1 DC) and 11 DC inside the circle. Pull yarn to close the circle and join with sl st to 3rd chain (12 DC).
2) ch 3 (count as 1st DC) and make 2 DCs in each DC from the previous round. Join with sl st to 3rd chain (24 DC).
3) ch3, * DC in next DC, 2 DC in next DC ** repeat from * to ** until the end of round (36 DC). Join next color (turquoise in the photo) with sl st to 3rd chain:
4) ch 3, * DC in each of next 2 DC, 2 DC in next DC ** repeat from * to ** until the end of round. Join with sl st to 3rd chain.
Continue working increasing the number of single DCs before 2 DCs on the same DC: in round 5) you’ll make * DC in each of next 3 DC, 2 DC in next DC **, in round 6) you’ll make * DC in each of next 4 DC, 2 DC in next DC **, and so on.
For the playmat in the photo I worked 4 rounds of each color, except purple (3 rounds).
Once you crochet 4 rounds of red, change hook to M (9 mm) and work 1 round of SC in each DC. The change of hook is made to prevent the border of the rug from being too tight and fold either downwards or upwards.
Cut yarn, fasten off, and enjoy!!!
SUMMARY OF COLORS & ROUNDS
Purple: 3 rounds of DCs.
Turquoise, Green, Yellow and Orange: 4 rounds of DCs in each color.
Red: 4 rounds DC + 1 round SC
Of course, you can make this rug in any color combination you can think of. Here’s a pink one, made to order to match a baby girl’s nursery:
If you have any doubt or need help, leave me a message in the comments box.
Thanks for stopping by, and HAPPY CROCHETING!!
4 thoughts on “Rainbow Crochet Playmat FREE PATTERN – OhLaLana!”
Thank you for posting all the details. I am moving into a home with all wood floors and will need nice splashes of colors for the floor.
I’m happy you find it useful!
Hello, I love your rug! a question, can I replicate the bulky yarn by holding two strands of #4 yarn together? I have tons of yarn that I would like to use before buying more. Thank you for your time