My easy CHECKERBOARD knitting pattern has a beginner level of difficulty (only knits and purls) and “52 Square Pickup” size 😊
The full instructions for my new CHECKERBOARD knitting pattern (written and charted) are below.
You can also purchase this dishcloth pattern in a high quality PDF file HERE in my blog, or in my Etsy Shop HERE.
In addition to using it as dishcloth / washcloth, the pattern is perfect as a blanket block. PLEASE contact me at any time if you need help to adapt a pattern. I’ll be happy to help 🙂
The approximate measure (after blocking) of this dishcloth is 8.75” x 8.75” (22.5 cm x 22.5 cm). Of course, this will vary if your tension is different than mine or if you decide to knit it with another yarn weight and needle size.
Do you want more square patterns with the same size?
You can take a look to my following collections:
- 52 Square Pickup
- Alphabet dishcloths
- Animals, plants and transports
- LOVE dishcloth
- LITTLE HEARTS / VALENTINES dishcloth
- HEARTS dishcloths
You can change the yarn weight and needle size to obtain different sized blocks. Send me a message if you need help.
– 1 straight needle US 7 (4.5 mm) for Casting on and Binding Off sts.
– 1 pair of straight needles US 6 (4 mm).
– Approx. 70 yds (64 m) of DK yarn (8 ply). OR 140 yds (128 m) of light fingering yarn (approx 3 ply) USED DOUBLE.
– Tapestry needle to weave in yarn ends and scissors.
GAUGE / TENSION
21 sts x 28 rows in stocking st with US 6 (4 mm needles) and DK yarn = 4” x 4” (10 cm x 10 cm)
- CO: cast on
- RS: right side
- WS: wrong side
- st: stitch
- k: knit
- p: purl
CHECKERBOARD square: General Instructions
– CO 43 sts with US 7 (4.5 mm) needles.
|I always cast on and bind off stitches with larger needles than I use for the main work. This prevent my cast on and bind off rows from being too tight.|
– With US 6 (4 mm) needles, knit 4 rows.
|Slip first stitch on every row as if you were to knit it, but without knitting it (except on the first row). It will form a neat and sturdy border.|
– Continue working for 55 rows as follows:
4 garter sts, CHECKERBOARD pattern over 35 sts (see detailed instructions below, written and charted), 4 garter sts
(Therefore, work 4 times the CHECKERBOARD pattern complete and then rows 1) to 7) again.)
– Knit 4 rows.
– Bind off with US 7 (4.5 mm) needle. Cut yarn and weave in ends.
CHECKERBOARD pattern – Written instructions
(Over a multiple of 8 sts and 12 rows. I added 3 more sts to reach our needed 35.)
Work the instructions between brackets a total of 4 times.
Row 1) (RS) p1, [k4, p4], k2
Row 2) p2, [k1, p2, k1, p4], k1
Row 3) p1, [k4, p4], k2
Row 4) p2, [k1, p2, k1, p4], k1
Row 5) p1, [k4, p4], k2
Row 6) p2, [k1, p2, k1, p4], k1
Row 7) k1, [p4, k4], p2
Row 8) p1, k1, [p4, k1, p2, k1], p1
Row 9) k1, [p4, k4], p2
Row 10) p1, k1, [p4, k1, p2, k1], p1
Row 11) k1, [p4, k4], p2
Row 12) p1, k1, [p4, k1, p2, k1], p1
CHECKERBOARD pattern – Charted instructions
- Read all odd rows from right to left, and all even rows from left to right.
- Repeat the grey painted part as many times as needed.
– If you have any doubt or need help, do not hesitate to write me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I will reply ASAP.
Thanks for stopping by, and HAPPY KNITTING!!
Do you want to see all my patterns in Ravelry? Click HERE!
© Cecilia Fameli, 2023. The instructions, charts, photos, and illustrations contained in this post (CHECKERBOARD knitting pattern) are subject to copyright protections. The patterns are for personal use only and may not be used for profit. You can, however, sell items made with my pattern. Thanks in advance for being respectful with my work.