PATTERN 18: BASKETWEAVE
This one is a different version of the one I shared during my “12 blocks for Xmas” KAL, and needs your full attention to avoid mistakes.
You can add this pattern to your Ravelry library by clicking HERE.
Remember that, in case you need more patterns to add to this project, I adapted all patterns from my “12 Blocks for Xmas” blanket to the same number of stitches and rows than the “52 Square Pickup” ones. You can find them HERE.
You just find this MKAL?
Don’t worry, you can start now! Look for more info in the following page: “52-SQUARE PICKUP: An all year round KAL”.
You’re also welcome to join our Ravelry group.
UPDATE February 2020
The entire pattern is below.
You can also find this pattern in my collection “52 SQUARE PICKUP: Patterns 1 to 20” HERE. As a “Beginner Stitch Patterns” mini book it could be a great resource for your future projects.
The high quality PDF file includes:
- gauge/tension info and materials
- written instructions
- charted instructions
- row-by-row CONTROL TABLE for each block: specially prepared for novice knitters, with integrated instructions for the block pattern AND edge stitches, to avoid confusion. You can use the table cells to check each row as you finish it, and there is a column for every repeat of the pattern you need to make according to the instructions. A great resource to print and check your progress as you knit.
BLOCK 18: BASKETWEAVE
- CO: cast on
- RS: right side
- WS: wrong side
- st: stitch
- k: knit
- p: purl
– CO 43 sts with US 7 (4.5 mm) needles.
|I always cast on and bind off stitches with larger needles than I use for the main work. This prevent my cast on and bind off rows from being too tight.|
– With US 6 (4 mm) needles, knit 4 rows.
|Slip first stitch on every row as if you were to knit it, but without knitting it (except on the first row). It will form a neat and sturdy border.|
– Continue working as follows:
4 garter sts, BASKETWEAVE pattern over 35 sts, 4 garter sts until you have a total length of 8’’ (20.5 cm).
I knitted 13 times the BASKETWEAVE pattern complete + rows 1) to 3) again.
– Knit 4 rows.
– Bind off with US 7 (4.5 mm) needle. Cut yarn and weave in ends.
k all sts, all rows.
BASKETWEAVE Pattern CORRECTED (Thank you for notincing and reporting my mistake, Andrea!)
(Over a multiple of 10 sts. I added 5 more st to reach the needed 35.)
Row 1) (RS) [p1, k1, p1, k2, p1, k1, p1, k2], p1, k1, p1, k2
Row 2) p3, k1, p1, [p3, k1, p4, k1, p1]
Row 3) [p1, k1, p1, k2, p1, k1, p1, k2], p1, k1, p1, k2
Row 4) k5, [p2, k8]
Row 5) [p8, k2], p5
Row 6) p2, k1, p1, k1, [p2, k1, p1, k1, p2, k1, p1, k1]
Row 7) [k1, p1, k4, p1, k3], k1, p1, k3
Row 8) p2, k1, p1, k1, [p2, k1, p1, k1, p2, k1, p1, k1]
Row 9) [p3, k2, p5], p3, k2
Row 10) p2, k3, [k5, p2, k3]
BASKETWEAVE Stitch Pattern – CHART
- Read all odd rows from right to left, and all even rows from left to right.
- Repeat the grey part of the chart as many times as you need.
5 thoughts on “BASKETWEAVE pattern: Block 18 of 52 Square Pickup”
I’m not sure I understand the repeating of the basketweave pattern 13 times? I only have 5 repeats and it came out to be 8 inches. Just wondering.
Hi Becca. Maybe you’re working with a different needle size, or yarn weight? In the introduction to the 52 SP project (https://ohlalana.com/52-square-pickup/) you can find all the info regarding materials and tension. xo
I thought that they were all 55 rows of pattern. That is 133. I was thinking the same thing although I haven’t knit it yet. I am just about to do so. I have had to knit more rows in places but that is a lot more than a few rows.
I lost count but i don’t think that I knit it more than 5 times either