My first KAL for 2019 is about to start, YAY!! I’m posting the characteristics today to give you time to gear up. The first pattern of the “52-square pickup” KAL will be published in January 4th. —–> (Update Jan 5th) You can find it here already!
If you want to add this project to your Ravelry library, click here. I add the link to each new block there, as soon as I release them. And, if you want more patterns to add to this project, I recently adapted all patterns from my “12 Blocks for Xmas” blanket to the same number of stitches and rows than the “52 Square Pickup” ones. You can find them HERE.
I wanted to thank here to Nicola, one of the gals in our Ravelry group (or should I say “lass”? 😉 for giving this KAL a nice name. I was at a loss for ideas! And, speaking about Ravelry, we will continue with the group throughout all 2019. I renamed it as “Oh La Lana!’s KALs”, and everyone is welcome to join. I will be sharing the link to each new post regarding my KALs there, as well as in my community forum at Patreon.
- 1 straight needle US 7 (4.5 mm) for Casting on and Binding Off sts.
- 1 pair of straight needles US 6 (4 mm).
- For EACH BLOCK: approx. 70 yds (64 m) of DK yarn (8 ply). OR 140 yds (128 m) of light fingering yarn (approx 3 ply) USED DOUBLE.
- Tapestry needle to weave in yarn ends and scissors.
GAUGE / TENSION
21 sts x 28 rows in stocking st with US 6 (4 mm needles) and DK yarn = 4” x 4” (10 cm x 10 cm)
CHARACTERISTICS OF EACH SQUARE
- Skill level of BEGINNER (only use knits and purls!)
- I’m designing all squares with the same number of stitches and rows, as I did for the “12 Blocks for Xmas” blanket. In this case, they will be 43 stitches wide and have 63 total rows.
- The approximate measure for each of my blocks is 8.75” x 8.75” (22.5 cm x 22.5 cm). Of course, this will vary if your tension is different than mine or if you decide to knit them with another yarn weight and needle size.
- They will have 4 rows garter st at each end (casting-on and binding-off edges) and 4 garter stitches at each side. This means that the internal surface (my stitch pattern design playground!) has 35 stitches x 55 rows.
- PDF files. I decided to keep going the extra mile and create PDF files for each square. Specially knowing that some of you find them so useful to share in nursing homes, hospitals, addiction recovery centers, education courses, etc.
If you read my goals for Oh La Lana! in 2019, you know that I also will be publishing alphabet dishcloths. They all have the same characteristics as these.
WHAT CAN YOU DO WITH 52 SQUARES?
I know, 52 is a weird number. Interesting for a mathematician or a pianist but when it comes to turn 52 squares into a blanket it’s just impossible. My goal is to release one pattern each week throughout all year, and that’s where the number came from: a year has 52 weeks.
So what can you do with such a strange number of squares? Well, you can make blankets in different sizes (you can see the standard blanket measures in a table here), or a small blanket only with the patterns you like most… Or just use my patterns to make dishcloths, whatever you like!
A NOTE ABOUT JOINING
If you’re planning to join the squares to make a blanket, and you are not a fan of sewing the blocks (just like me 🙂 ) you can save yourself A LOT of sewing by knitting in strips. Just add an odd number of rows (1, 3, 5… your choice!) between patterns, to replace the cast-on and bind-off rows.
I hope you like the idea and join me in this new project! And as always, I would love to see your results! You can upload them to Ravelry or share them on Instagram with the tag #52squarepickup
I wish you and your loved ones a very Happy New Year!
PS: I will make a blue blanket for Tomi with my squares!
77 thoughts on “52-SQUARE PICKUP: An all year round KAL”
Where are the patterns for 52 Square Pickup?
Hi Fran. In the top menu–> Resources –> KALs –> 52 Square Pickup you can find links to each pattern. Here’s the link to go directly: https://ohlalana.com/52-square-pickup/