Did you have a good weekend? I did, beautiful. In addition to knitting and planning some new things, I played a lot with my son, mostly to volleyball and soccer. My waist did not thank me very much, but we had a lot of fun 😊 I also dedicated myself to work on the design for my new logo. I still have to finish it, but for now it seems to be on track. And I saw many # 1 blocks out there, both in Ravelry and Instagram! It is exciting that so many people have joined my “12 blocks for Xmas” project, I feel overflowing with gratitude.
I received several questions about how I plan to joining of the blocks when they are all finished. So, I bring the query to this post where there are probably more people reading. I have planned two ways: simple sewing and crochet union. If someone has more ideas, they can share them in the comments below. You might already realized that I read them all! 😉 I will try to summarize here the ones I received regarding construction and/or sewing of the blanket, in case you decide to adopt some:
- Don’t close the blocks and make 3 needle bind off two by two. Less sewing at the end.
- Knit the blanket in strips, instead of blocks. That is, instead of closing the stitches of block 1, leave them waiting on the needle to continue with block 2 there. I recommend in this case to add 2 more k rows between blocks to replace the binding off and casting off rows lost.
- Make the blanket in one piece, without seams. In this case, you would have to wait for the blocks 1, 2 and 3 to be published, and make them at the same time.
As more ideas come up, I will also share them here to you reach you all.
I leave below the pattern for Block 2, and the download link for those who prefer it.
BLOCK 2: ROOF TILES
- CO: cast on
- RS: right side
- WS: wrong side
- st: stitch
- k: knit
- p: purl
– CO 47 sts with US 8 (5 mm) needles.
– With US 7 (4.5 mm) needles, knit 4 rows.
– Continue working as follows:
3 garter sts, Roof Tiles Stitch over 41 sts, 3 garter sts (see the stitch glossary below) until you have a total length of 9.25’’ (23.5 cm).
I knitted 4 times the Roof Tiles pattern complete + rows 1 to 11.
– Knit 4 rows.
– Bind off with US 8 (5 mm) needle. Cut yarn and weave in ends.
k all sts, all rows.
Roof Tiles Stitch
(Over a multiple of 12 sts. I added 5 sts more to adjust for our needed 41)
Repeat instructions between brackets as many times as needed. For this block, repeat them a total of 3 times, horizontally.
Row 1) k all row
Row 2) p5, [(k1, p5) x 2]
Row 3) k all row
Row 4) k5, [k1, p5, k6]
Row 5) k all row
Row 6) idem 4 —> k5, [k1, p5, k6]
Row 7) k all row
Row 8) idem 2 —> p5, [(k1, p5) x 2]
Row 9) k all row
Row 10) idem 2 —> p5, [(k1, p5) x 2]
Row 11) k all row
Row 12) p5, [k7, p5]
Row 13) k all row
Row 14) idem 12 —> p5, [k7, p5]
Roof Tiles Stitch – CHART
- Read all odd rows from right to left, and all even rows from left to right.
- Repeat the grey painted part as many times as the pattern calls for (3 times horizontally in the case of this block).
DOWNLOAD the print-friendly version below:
BLOCK 2 – ROOF TILES ROW BY ROW – Printer Friendly. Thank you Sandra for the idea!!!