PATTERN 6: DRAGON SCALES
Last Saturday I started watching “The Hobbit” movies with Tomi. On Sunday I went to Buenos Aires Chinatown (as you may know if you follow me on IG). And, on top of things, I’m listening again the “A Song of Ice and Fire” audiobooks.
Therefore, it was hard to avoid that some dragon inspiration crept into this week’s block design 🙂 “DRAGON SCALES!”, I thought. And after some attempts, this is how it turned out.
A NOTE about the PDF file: this week, the row-by-row instructions are in a table format, and include boxes to check your progress as you finish each row. I make this kind of “control tables” for the PDF my patrons receive with each pattern. But because DRAGON SCALES is a pattern with 16 different rows and needs lots of attention, I thought it was a good time to share the table here too. Remember that when the KAL finishes I’ll remove the downloadable files, so make sure to save them!
I hope you like it!
PS: you can add this pattern to your Ravelry library by clicking HERE.
You just find this MKAL?
You’re also welcome to join our Ravelry group.
UPDATE February 2020
The entire pattern is below.
The high quality PDF file includes:
- gauge/tension info and materials
- written instructions
- charted instructions
- row-by-row CONTROL TABLE for each block: specially prepared for novice knitters, with integrated instructions for the block pattern AND edge stitches, to avoid confusion. You can use the table cells to check each row as you finish it, and there is a column for every repeat of the pattern you need to make according to the instructions. A great resource to print and check your progress as you knit.
BLOCK 6: DRAGON SCALES
- CO: cast on
- RS: right side
- WS: wrong side
- st: stitch
- k: knit
- p: purl
– CO 43 sts with US 7 (4.5 mm) needles.
|I always cast on and bind off stitches with larger needles than I use for the main work. This prevent my cast on and bind off rows from being too tight.|
– With US 6 (4 mm) needles, knit 4 rows.
|Slip first stitch on every row as if you were to knit it, but without knitting it (except on the first row). It will form a neat and sturdy border.|
– Continue working as follows:
4 garter sts, DRAGON SCALES Stitch over 35 sts, 4 garter sts until you have a total length of 8’’ (20.5 cm).
I knitted 3 times the DRAGON SCALES pattern complete + rows 1) to 7) again.
– Knit 4 rows.
– Bind off with US 7 (4.5 mm) needle. Cut yarn and weave in ends.
k all sts, all rows.
DRAGON SCALES Stitch
(Over a multiple of 8 sts. I added 3 more sts to adjust for our needed 35.)
Repeat instructions between brackets as many times as needed. For this block, make them a total of 4 times, horizontally.
Row 1) (RS) [k2, p5, k1], k2, p1
Row 2) p1, k1, p1, [k1, p5, k1, p1]
Row 3) [k1, p1, k5, p1], k1, p1, k1
Row 4) p2, k1, [p7, k1]
Row 5) [p1, k7], p1, k2
Row 6) p1, k1, p1, [k1, p5, k1, p1]
Row 7) [k1, p1, k5, p1], k1, p1, k1
Row 8) k1, p2, [p1, k1, p3, k1, p2]
Row 9) [p3, k3, p2], p3
Row 10) p3, [p2, k1, p1, k1, p3]
Row 11) [k3, p1, k1, p1, k2], k3
Row 12) p3, [p3, k1, p4]
Row 13) [k4, p1, k3], k3
Row 14) p3, [p2, k1, p1, k1, p3]
Row 15) [k3, p1, k1, p1, k2], k3
Row 16) k1, p2, [p1, k1, p3, k1, p2]
DRAGON SCALES Stitch Pattern – CHART
- Read all odd rows from right to left, and all even rows from left to right.
- Repeat the grey painted part as many times as the pattern calls for (4 times horizontally in the case of this block).