LACE HEARTS knitting pattern
My LACE HEARTS knitting pattern will be the last Valentine’s day related pattern for 2020. The entire pattern is below, as well as the link to purchase a PDF copy.
It’s a 12” x 12” square (31 cm x 31 cm) after blocking and there will be more like this one in the future 🙂 Which brings me to a notice I want to give you, concerning my 2020 KALs.
I decided to make 2 blanket MKALs this year:
1) Knit and purl squares (beginner level), same amount of sts and rows as my 2019 squares (like my 52 Square Pickup KAL), featuring different objects: animals, plants, and transports. Great to add to any projects for babies and kids. Or to join into a blanket. 28 squares. At the end, it will be possible to assemble a 60” x 35” (155 x 90 cm) blanket.
2) Lace squares (intermediate level), same amount of sts and rows as today’s square. There will be 15 different patterns which you can also join into a blanket of 60” x 36” (155 x 91 cm). Alternatively, I’ll also give the option to work the entire blanket in circular needles (back and forth), knitting 4” of each pattern (no sewing at the end, squeee!)
My patrons will get PDFs of everything, of course. Plus some extra squares and hats here and there. If you want to support me on Patreon (even with $1/ month!), please click HERE. If you can’t, don’t worry! All my KAL patterns will be available for free here in my blog, just as today’s pattern.
I hope you like both ideas. Let me know what you think in the comments below (“Leave a reply” section).
2020 will be a very knitty year in Oh La Lana! 😀
You can also purchase the pattern in a high quality PDF file HERE.
- 1 straight needle US 6 (4 mm) for Casting on and Binding Off sts.
- 1 pair of straight needles US 4 (3.5 mm).
- Sport / baby yarn.
- Tapestry needle to weave in yarn ends and scissors.
- OPTIONAL: stitch markers.
Length / Width: approx. 12’’ (31 cm).
(measures AFTER blocking)
Of course, this will vary if your tension is different than mine or if you decide to knit it with another yarn weight and needle size.
GAUGE / TENSION
23 sts x 29 rows in stocking st with US 4 (3.5 mm) needles = 4” x 4” (10 cm x 10 cm)
- CO: cast on
- BO: bind off
- RS: right side
- WS: wrong side
- st: stitch
- k: knit
- p: purl
- k2tog: knit 2 sts together
- ssk: slip 1 st as if to knit, knit 1 st, pass the slipped st over
- SK2P: slip 1 st as if to knit, k2tog, pass the slipped st over
- yo: yarn over
– CO 65 sts with US 6 (4 mm) needles.
|I always cast on and bind off stitches with larger needles than I use for the main work. This prevent my cast on and bind off rows from being too tight.|
– With US 4 (3,5 mm) needles, knit 6 rows.
|Slip first stitch on every row as if you were to knit it, but without knitting it (except on the first row). It will form a neat and sturdy border.|
– Continue working as follows:
5 garter sts, LACE HEARTS pattern over 55 sts, 5 garter sts.
Work 2 times the LACE HEARTS pattern complete and then rows 1) to 21) again.
– Knit 6 rows.
– Bind off with US 6 (4 mm) needle. Cut yarn and weave in ends.
– Block your square to its final measures.
k all sts, all rows.
LACE HEARTS knitting pattern: Row by row
- Over 18 sts and 36 rows. I added 1 more sts to complete an internal space of 55 sts.
- Repeat instructions between brackets as many times as needed. For this block, make them a total of 3 times.
- NOTE that in rows 19) and 33) you only have to make 2 times the instructions between brackets.
Row 1) (RS) [k1, yo, SK2P, yo, k4, yo, ssk, k3, yo, SK2P, yo, k2], k1
Row 2) and all other even rows: p all sts
Row 3) [k6, k2tog, yo, k1, yo, ssk, k7], k1
Row 5) [k5, k2tog, yo, k3, yo, ssk, k6], k1
Row 7) [k4, k2tog, yo, k5, yo, ssk, k5], k1
Row 9) [k3, k2tog, yo, k7, yo, ssk, k4], k1
Row 11) [k2, k2tog, yo, k9, yo, ssk, k3], k1
Row 13) [k1, k2tog, yo, k11, yo, ssk, k2], k1
Row 15) [k2, yo, ssk, k4, yo, ssk, k3, k2tog, yo, k3], k1
Row 17) [k3, yo, ssk, k1, k2tog, yo, k1, yo, ssk, k1, k2tog, yo, k4], k1
Row 19) k4, yo, SK2P, yo, k3, yo, SK2P, yo, k4, yo, [ssk, k3, yo, SK2P, yo, k3, yo, SK2P, yo, k4, yo], ssk
Row 21) [yo, ssk, k13, k2tog, yo, k1], k1
Row 23) [k1, yo, ssk, k11, k2tog, yo, k2], k1
Row 25) [k2, yo, ssk, k9, k2tog, yo, k3], k1
Row 27) [k3, yo, ssk, k7, k2tog, yo, k4], k1
Row 29) [k4, yo, ssk, k5, k2tog, yo, k5], k1
Row 31) [k5, yo, ssk, k3, k2tog, yo, k6], k1
Row 33) k4, k2tog, yo, k5, yo, ssk, k4, yo, [ssk, k3, k2tog, yo, k5, yo, ssk, k4, yo], ssk
Row 35) [yo, ssk, k1, k2tog, yo, k7, yo, ssk, k1, k2tog, yo, k1], k1
LACE HEARTS knitting pattern – CHART
- Read all odd rows from right to left, and all even rows from left to right.
- Repeat the grey painted part as many times as the pattern calls for (3 times horizontally in the case of this block).