Welcome to my Beginner Blanket MKAL 2020!
Last year I centred my attention almost exclusively in beginner knitting. That is, only knit-and-purl projects. I shared a ton of different stitch patterns (52 Square Pickup), all the letters (Alphabet Series), numbers (Number Series) and some object here and there (like my Heart dishcloths, or Smiley dishcloth).
Although this year I want to make more diverse things (lace, cables, and baby clothing patterns) I DO NOT WANT to forget all the wonderful beginner knitters that follow my yarn adventures 🙂 So, don’t worry friends! There will be plenty of patterns to keep your needles busy in 2020 😀
For this first big beginner project, I decided to focus in objects. Together they will make a fun blanket for babies and kids. And, individually, they could be very useful patterns to add into any themed-related project.
I compiled a list of questions I imagine you could ask regarding this KAL. If you have any additional questions, please write it down in the comments section (at the end of the post –> write in the box below the title “Leave a Reply”).
Which kind of objects?
This MKAL will include animals (cat, squirrel, etc), plants (flower, clover/s, apple, etc) and transports (car, plane, etc).
How many there will be?
I planned 28 different blocks.
What can I do with them?
If you knit all of them, you will be able to make a 4×7 squares blanket. That is a 35.5” x 62” (90 cm x 157 cm) blanket. The size does not include any border you wish to add after joining the blocks.
Alternatively, you can add 2 more squares (from this series, or another ones I shared before) to make a 5×6 squares blanket. That is a 44.5” x 53” (113 cm x 135 cm) blanket.
Are these squares compatible with the 2019 ones?
Yes! I decided not to change the amount of rows or sts, so you can use them together without the need of adaptation.
When will you share the pattern for the first block?
My first pattern will be out on Tuesday, January 28th.
How frequently will you publish the patterns?
There will be 10 to 11 days between patterns (sometimes Tuesday, sometimes Friday). You can see the Release Dates in my page “BEGINNER BLANKET OF BLOCKS MKAL 2020”
Can I add this project to my Ravelry library?
Yes! If you want to add this project to your Ravelry library, click here.
PLEASE NOTE that I won’t be adding the individual patterns to Ravelry, because it’s not allowed to duplicate patterns. I’ll add the link to each new block in my page “BEGINNER BLANKET OF BLOCKS MKAL 2020” as soon as I release them. Therefore, you might find useful to bookmark that page. I will also add each new photo to my Ravelry pattern for this blanket.
How can I know each time a new pattern is released?
There are many ways to do that. Here are some:
- follow my blog and receive an email each time I release a new pattern.
- follow me in Instagram or Facebook.
- join my Ravelry group. I’ll give notice there each time a new KAL related pattern is out.
- visit my page “BEGINNER BLANKET OF BLOCKS MKAL 2020“. I’ll be adding there a link to every post related to this project, including this introduction.
- support me on Patreon. You’ll receive notice of each pattern in your email inbox AND the pattern itself in PDF format.
The dimensions for each block are the same as my “52 Square Pickup” KAL of 2019. I paste the info 👇 so you can have all in one place.
- 1 straight needle US 7 (4.5 mm) for Casting on and Binding Off sts.
- 1 pair of straight needles US 6 (4 mm).
- For EACH BLOCK: approx. 70 yds (64 m) of DK yarn (8 ply). OR 140 yds (128 m) of light fingering yarn (approx 3 ply) USED DOUBLE.
- Tapestry needle to weave in yarn ends and scissors.
GAUGE / TENSION
21 sts x 28 rows in stocking st with US 6 (4 mm needles) and DK yarn = 4” x 4” (10 cm x 10 cm)
CHARACTERISTICS OF EACH SQUARE
- Skill level of BEGINNER (only use knits and purls!)
- All squares have the same number of stitches (43) and rows (63).
- The approximate measure for each of my blocks is 8.75” x 8.75” (22.5 cm x 22.5 cm). Of course, this will vary if your tension is different than mine or if you decide to knit them with another yarn weight and needle size.
- They will have 4 rows garter st at each end (casting-on and binding-off edges) and 4 garter stitches at each side. This means that the internal surface (my stitch pattern design playground!) has 35 stitches x 55 rows.
I hope you like the idea of my Beginner Blanket MKAL 2020 and join me in this new project! As always, I would love to see your results 😀 You can upload your photos to Ravelry or share them in social media using the tags #ohlalanaKAL and #beginnerblanketMKAL2020.
NOTE: I was asked for a one time donation button for my new projects, for those retired or living on a limited budget (thus, for those who can’t afford to support me every month in Patreon but still want to collaborate financially with my work). That’s what you see below. I’m very grateful to the lady who suggested the idea, but please remember that IS NOT NECESSARY to contribute to join the KAL. Each pattern of will stay FREE in my website.
EASTER BUNNY knitting pattern
You can use this form if you want to help me finance this project (materials, photo editing software, designing time, etc) or just want to invite me a coffee 😀 Thank you so much!