SMILEY DISHCLOTH OR BLANKET BLOCK
I designed my SMILEY Dishcloth pattern (or Blanket Block) as a fun addition to my Alphabet Blanket. It has the same amount of sts and rows as any other square of the Alphabet Series and 52 Square Pickup ones. Of course, you can also use them as dishcloth / washcloth, or incorporate the patterns in any other project you like.
I think it could be also a fun gift to help kids (and adults!) go through their cleaning chores with a smile 🙂
If you want to add these patterns to your Ravelry library, click here.
You can find the entire pattern below.
If you prefer it, you can also purchase the SMILEY Dishcloth pattern in a high quality PDF file for $1 HERE. Please note that if you support me in PATREON you already have a link to download it there.
- 1 straight needle US 7 (4.5 mm) for Casting on and Binding Off sts.
- 1 pair of straight needles US 6 (4 mm).
- Approx. 70 yds (64 m) of DK yarn (8 ply). OR 140 yds (128 m) of light fingering yarn (approx 3 ply) USED DOUBLE.
- Tapestry needle to weave in yarn ends and scissors.
GAUGE / TENSION
21 sts x 28 rows in stocking st with US 6 (4 mm needles) and DK yarn = 4” x 4” (10 cm x 10 cm)
NOTE: the gauge / tension is not particularly important to make dishcloths. The final measure of my square, with my tension, is 8.5” x 8.5” (22 cm x 22 cm).
- CO: cast on
- RS: right side
- WS: wrong side
- st: stitch
- k: knit
- p: purl
– CO 43 sts with US 7 (4.5 mm) needles.
– With US 6 (4 mm) needles, knit 4 rows.
– Continue working for 55 rows as follows:
4 garter sts, SMILEY Pattern (1 or 2) over 35 sts, 4 garter sts.
– Knit 4 rows.
– Bind off with US 7 (4.5 mm) needle. Cut yarn and weave in ends.
SMILEY PATTERN: WRITTEN INSTRUCTIONS
Row 1) and every following odd row (RS) k all sts
Row 2) p all sts
Row 4) p all sts
Row 6) p12, k11, p12
Row 8) p9, k17, p9
Row 10) p7, k21, p7
Row 12) p5, k25, p5
Row 14) p4, k9, p9, k9, p4
Row 16) p4, k7, p13, k7, p4
Row 18) p4, k6, p15, k6, p4
Row 20) p4, k6, p15, k6, p4
Row 22) p2, k10, p11, k10, p2
Row 24) p2, k10, p11, k10, p2
Row 26) p2, k10, p11, k10, p2
Row 28) p all sts
Row 30) p all sts
Row 32) p all sts
Row 34) p7, k4, p13, k4, p7
Row 36) p6, k6, p11, k6, p6
Row 38) p6, k6, p11, k6, p6
Row 40) p6, k6, p11, k6, p6
Row 42) p6, k6, p11, k6, p6
Row 44) p6, k6, p11, k6, p6
Row 46) p6, k6, p11, k6, p6
Row 48) p6, k6, p11, k6, p6
Row 50) p7, k4, p13, k4, p7
Row 52) p all sts
Row 54) p all sts
Row 55) k all sts
SMILEY PATTERN – CHART
- Read all odd rows from right to left, and all even rows from left to right.
k all sts, all rows.