PATTERN 15: STAIRWAY
You can add this pattern to your Ravelry library by clicking HERE.
Remember that, in case you need more patterns to add to this project, I adapted all patterns from my “12 Blocks for Xmas” blanket to the same number of stitches and rows than the “52 Square Pickup” ones. You can find them HERE.
You just find this MKAL?
Don’t worry, you can start now! Look for more info in the following page: “52-SQUARE PICKUP: An all year round KAL”.
You’re also welcome to join our Ravelry group.
UPDATE February 2020
The entire pattern is below.
You can also find this pattern in my collection “52 SQUARE PICKUP: Patterns 1 to 20” HERE. As a “Beginner Stitch Patterns” mini book it could be a great resource for your future projects.
The high quality PDF file includes:
- gauge/tension info and materials
- written instructions
- charted instructions
- row-by-row CONTROL TABLE for each block: specially prepared for novice knitters, with integrated instructions for the block pattern AND edge stitches, to avoid confusion. You can use the table cells to check each row as you finish it, and there is a column for every repeat of the pattern you need to make according to the instructions. A great resource to print and check your progress as you knit.
BLOCK 15: STAIRWAY
- CO: cast on
- RS: right side
- WS: wrong side
- st: stitch
- k: knit
- p: purl
– CO 43 sts with US 7 (4.5 mm) needles.
|I always cast on and bind off stitches with larger needles than I use for the main work. This prevent my cast on and bind off rows from being too tight.|
– With US 6 (4 mm) needles, knit 4 rows.
|Slip first stitch on every row as if you were to knit it, but without knitting it (except on the first row). It will form a neat and sturdy border.|
– Continue working as follows:
4 garter sts, STAIRWAY pattern over 35 sts, 4 garter sts until you have a total length of 8’’ (20.5 cm).
I knitted 1 time the STAIRWAY pattern complete + rows 1) to 25) again.
– Knit 4 rows.
– Bind off with US 7 (4.5 mm) needle. Cut yarn and weave in ends.
k all sts, all rows.
(Over a multiple of 9 sts. I added 8 more sts to reach the needed 35.)
Repeat instructions between brackets as many times as needed. For this block, make them a total of 3 times, horizontally.
Row 1) (RS) k all row
Row 2) k2, p3, k3, [k3, p3, k3]
Row 3) k all row
Row 4) k2, p3, k3, [k3, p3, k3]
Row 5) k all row
Row 6) p5, k3, [p6, k3]
Row 7) k all row
Row 8) p5, k3, [p6, k3]
Row 9) k all row
Row 10) p5, k3, [p6, k3]
Row 11) k all row
Row 12) p2, k6, [p3, k6]
Row 13) k all row
Row 14) p2, k6, [p3, k6]
Row 15) k all row
Row 16) p2, k3, p3, [p3, k3, p3]
Row 17) k all row
Row 18) p2, k3, p3, [p3, k3, p3]
Row 19) k all row
Row 20) p2, k3, p3, [p3, k3, p3]
Row 21) k all row
Row 22) k5, p3, [k6, p3]
Row 23) k all row
Row 24) k5, p3, [k6, p3]
Row 25) k all row
Row 26) k2, p6, [k3, p6]
Row 27) k all row
Row 28) k2, p6, [k3, p6]
Row 29) k all row
Row 30) k2, p6, [k3, p6]
STAIRWAY Stitch Pattern – CHART
- Read all odd rows from right to left, and all even rows from left to right.
- Repeat the chart as many times as the pattern calls for (3 times horizontally in the case of this block).
3 thoughts on “STAIRWAY: Block 15 of 52 Square Pickup”
Love this pattern. Have modified it to make a prayer shawl. Calling it Stairway to Heaven
I’m so happy to hear that my pattern served you as inspiration!! 😊🤗
i like your pattern. how did you decide the knit and purl for the added 8 stitches on the stairway block. thanks