This post is for my YOU ARE LOVED Hat knitting pattern for ADULTS. If you’re looking this pattern for babies and toddlers please click the image below:
My “YOU ARE LOVED” hats are worked flat and feature a textured heart in seed / moss stitch, great for Valentine’s day. Or any other day, really!
Skill level: suitable for beginner knitters who know how to make k2tog and skp decreases (advanced beginners / easy level)
The entire pattern is below.
YOU ARE LOVED Adult Hat
FINISHED MEASUREMENTS (without stretching)
- Width: 9.5’’ (24 cm)
- Height: 8’’ (20 cm)
This measurements will fit a head circumference of approx. 21.5’’ to 23.5’’ (54,5 a 60 cm).
- 1 pair of straight needles US 6 (4 mm).
- 1 pair of straight needles US 4 (3.5 mm).
- Approx. 120 yds (110 m) of DK (8 ply in UK, NZ and AU) or worsted yarn (10 ply).
- Stitch markers.
- Tapestry needle to weave in yarn ends and scissors.
19 sts x 24 rows in stocking st with US 6 (4 mm) needles = 4” x 4” (10 cm x 10 cm)
- CO: cast on
- BO: bind off
- RS: right side
- WS: wrong side
- st: stitch
- k: knit
- p: purl
- k2tog: knit 2 sts together
- skp: slip 1 st as if to knit, knit 1 st, pass the slipped st over
1. CO 112 sts with US 6 (4 mm) needles.
I always cast on and bind off stitches with larger needles than I use for the main work. This prevent my cast on rows from being too tight.
2. With US 4 (3.5 mm) needles work approx. 1.5’’ (4 cm) in 2/1 rib with 1 garter sts at each side, ending with a WS row. Your first row (RS) will be like this:
1 garter st, (p2, k1) 36 times, p2, 1 garter st.
Slip the first stitch on every row as if you were to knit it, but without knitting it (except on the first row). It will form a neat and sturdy border, and you can use the “bumps” left by this slipped k stitch to sew the hat at the end.
3. Change to US 6 (4 mm) and knit 1 row (RS) while making 11 decreases, as follows:
k10, (k2tog, k7) 11 times, k3
Now you have a total of 101 sts.
4. Work the corresponding WS row. That is: 1 garter st, p99, 1 garter st. AT THE SAME TIME, put markers signaling the central 25 sts. You’ll be making the textured heart over those sts.
5. Continue working as follows:
1 garter st, stocking st until marker (37 sts), TEXTURED HEART PATTERN (you can find the row-by-row and charted instructions for it below) over 25 sts, stocking st until 1 st remain (37 sts), 1 garter st.
6. Once you finish the last row that includes the Textured Heart Pattern, continue working in stocking st with 1 garter at each side until your knitted piece has a total length of 5.5’’ (14 cm). If you read the IMPORTANT NOTE above the materials list (you did, didn’t you? 😅), this is the place to add more inches to your hat if you want it to be longer. While working the last row (WS) place 4 markers as follows:
At 15, 39, 63 and 87 sts from the beginning of the row.
7. Now you are ready to make decreases in each RS row, in order to shape the crown of the hat. You’ll be decreasing 8 sts per row by k2tog BEFORE each marker and skp AFTER each marker. I write below the rows in which you need to make decreases and the resulting number of sts after each one is done, so you can check your progress if you need to. Remove markers as you go in the last row.
Row 1) 93 sts remain.
Row 3) 85 sts remain.
Row 5) 77 sts remain.
Row 7) 69 sts remain.
Row 9) 61 sts remain.
Row 11) 53 sts remain.
Row 13) 45 sts remain.
Row 15) 37 sts remain.
Row 17) 29 sts remain.
Row 19) 21 sts remain.
8. Cut the yarn leaving a long tail.
9. Using a tapestry needle pass the yarn inside the 21 remaining sts to take them out of your knitting needle:
10. Pull tightly to close. I usually give it another turn inside all sts.
11. Sew your hat using the lateral garter sts as guide:
12. Weave in yarn ends, and that’s it 🙂 Enjoy!
This is how the hat looks if you knit the main part it in seed / moss st instead of stocking st. Cute, right?
TEXTURED HEART PATTERN
Over 25 sts.
Row 1) (RS) k12, p1, k12
Row 2) p11, k1, p1, k1, p11
Row 3) k10, (p1, k1) 2 times, p1, k10
Row 4) p9, (k1, p1) 3 times, k1, p9
Row 5) k8, (p1, k1) 4 times, p1, k8
Row 6) p7, (k1, p1) 5 times, k1, p7
Row 7) k6, (p1, k1) 6 times, p1, k6
Row 8) p5, (k1, p1) 7 times, k1, p5
Row 9) k4, (p1, k1) 8 times, p1, k4
Row 10) p3, (k1, p1) 9 times, k1, p3
Row 11) k4, (p1, k1) 8 times, p1, k4
Row 12) p3, (k1, p1) 9 times, k1, p3
Row 13) k2, (p1, k1) 10 times, p1, k2
Row 14) p3, (k1, p1) 9 times, k1, p3
Row 15) k2, (p1, k1) 10 times, p1, k2
Row 16) p3, (k1, p1) 9 times, k1, p3
Row 17) k2, (p1, k1) 10 times, p1, k2
Row 18) p3, (k1, p1) 9 times, k1, p3
Row 19) k4, (p1, k1) 3 times, p1, k3, (p1, k1) 3 times, p1, k4
Row 20) p3, (k1, p1) 3 times, k1, p5, (k1, p1) 3 times, k1, p3
Row 21) k4, (p1, k1) 2 times, p1, k7, (p1, k1) 2 times, p1, k4
Row 22) p5, k1, p1, k1, p9, k1, p1, k1, p5
TEXTURED HEART PATTERN
k all sts, all rows.
Stockinette Stitch (also called Stocking Stitch)
RS: k all sts
WS: p all stsAlternate those 2 rows.
Alternate those 2 rows.
Seed / Moss Stitch
Row 1) *k1, p1*, repeat from * to *
Row 2) k over p, and p over k.
Always repeat row 2.
© Cecilia Fameli, 2019, 2022.
You’re welcome to sell your items produced from Oh La Lana! patterns! But you may not re-sale or re-distribute commercially my patterns in any manner. Thank you in advance for being respectful with my work! YOU ARE LOVED Adult Hat Pattern FREE.