Block 10: Basket
Hi there! Today’s block features basket stitch, one of the most beautiful beginner patterns, in my opinion. I suddenly remembered one of the judges of the series “The Good Wife” 😉
We are nearing the end of our project! Within a week we will be planning different ways of joining squares. I hope to make it in time with my white ones (I’m very very behind).
See you soon!
You just find this MKAL?
Don’t worry, you can start now! Look for more info in the following page: “12 Blocks for Xmas” A new free knitting project to make a blanket in blocks.
You’re also welcome to join our Ravelry group.
BLOCK 10: BASKET
- CO: cast on
- RS: right side
- WS: wrong side
- st: stitch
- k: knit
- p: purl
– CO 47 sts with US 8 (5 mm) needles.
– With US 7 (4.5 mm) needles, knit 4 rows.
– Continue working as follows:
3 garter sts, Basket Stitch over 41 sts, 3 garter sts (see the stitch glossary below) until you have a total length of 9.25’’ (23.5 cm).
I knitted 8 times the Polka Dots pattern complete + rows 1 to 3.
– Knit 4 rows.
– Bind off with US 8 (5 mm) needle. Cut yarn and weave in ends.
k all sts, all rows.
(Over a multiple of 10 sts. I added 1 more st to adjust for our needed 41.)
Repeat instructions between brackets as many times as needed. For this block, make them a total of 4 times, horizontally.
Row 1) (RS) [k2, p7, k1], k1
Row 2) p1, [p1, k7, p2]
Row 3) [k2, p7, k1], k1
Row 4) p all sts
Row 5) [p4, k3, p3], p1
Row 6) k1, [k3, p3, k4]
Row 7) [p4, k3, p3], p1
Row 8) p all sts
Basket Stitch – CHART
- Read all odd rows from right to left, and all even rows from left to right.
- Repeat the grey painted part as many times as the pattern calls for (4 times horizontally in the case of this block).