Block 8: Windmills
Hello!! Today I’m in a rush. I have so many Yaguareté orders to finish! 🙂 I leave you below the pattern for Block 8 of our “12 blocks of Xmas” blanket, featuring Windmills stitch.
Talk to you soon!
You just find this MKAL?
Don’t worry, you can start now! Look for more info in the following page: “12 Blocks for Xmas” A new free knitting project to make a blanket in blocks.
You’re also welcome to join our Ravelry group.
UPDATE April 2019
The entire pattern is below.
You can now purchase the the entire “12 Blocks for Xmas” pattern collection (12 different patterns) HERE or in my ETSY shop HERE. The high quality PDF file includes:
- gauge/tension info and materials
- written instructions
- charted instructions
- row-by-row CONTROL TABLE: specially prepared for novice knitters, with integrated instructions for the block pattern AND edge stitches, to avoid confusion. You can use the table cells to check each row as you finish it, and there is a column for every repeat of the pattern you need to make according to the instructions. A great resource to print and check your progress as you knit.
BLOCK 8: WINDMILLS
- CO: cast on
- RS: right side
- WS: wrong side
- st: stitch
- k: knit
- p: purl
– CO 47 sts with US 8 (5 mm) needles.
– With US 7 (4.5 mm) needles, knit 4 rows.
– Continue working as follows:
3 garter sts, Windmills Stitch over 41 sts, 3 garter sts (see the stitch glossary below) until you have a total length of 9.25’’ (23.5 cm).
I knitted 4 times the Windmills pattern complete + rows 1 to 11.
– Knit 4 rows.
– Bind off with US 8 (5 mm) needle. Cut yarn and weave in ends.
k all sts, all rows.
(Over a multiple of 12 sts. I added 5 more st to adjust for our needed 41.)
Repeat instructions between brackets as many times as needed. For this block, make them a total of 3 times, horizontally.
Row 1) (RS) [p6, k6], p5
Row 2) k5, [p5, k1, p1, k5]
Row 3) [p4, k2, p2, k4], p4, k1
Row 4) p2, k3, [p3, k3, p3, k3]
Row 5) [p2, k4, p4, k2], p2, k3
Row 6) p4, k1, [p1, k5, p5, k1]
Row 7) [k6, p6], k5
Row 8) k5, [p6, k6]
Row 9) [k1, p5, k5, p1], k1, p4
Row 10) k3, p2, [k2, p4, k4, p2]
Row 11) [k3, p3, k3, p3], k3, p2
Row 12) k1, p4, [k4, p2, k2, p4]
Row 13) [k5, p1, k1, p5], k5
Row 14) p5, [k6, p6]
Windmills Stitch – CHART
- Read all odd rows from right to left, and all even rows from left to right.
- Repeat the grey painted part as many times as the pattern calls for (3 times horizontally in the case of this block).
3 thoughts on “BLOCK 8 of 12 blocks of Xmas knitted blanket – OhLaLana!”
Did anyone else have a problem getting this pattern to work? The first section of windmills looks good, but consistently starting around stitch 20 in every row, the pattern falls apart for me. Tried twice now. Ready to scream. Thanks!
Hello Susan. I checked and re-checked the pattern and I think it’s ok… Are you following the written instructions or the chart?
Hi Cecilia, I was following the written instructions, not the chart. I’ve checked and rechecked, to make sure I didn’t copy anything down incorrectly. I’m a beginner at knitting but it is WEIRD that the first half of the pattern came out perfectly – TWICE – and then the second half of every row came out wrong. I appreciate that you checked – I guess I just need to move on to something else. Thanks for your reply!